Search This Blog

Thursday 19 February 2015

I saw my father cry

On a sunny evening as I was leaving work, I received a call from my dad. I thought he was just calling to say hello, like he always does. We talked as I walked to Jinja road to get a taxi to Kireka.
While I stood by the roadside to cross the road, I saw his car parked on the other side of the road. I thought it was just a similar car, only to see him wave at me.
I could not believe that I was actually seeing him, because he had not informed me about his visit. And here he was, waiting for me.
This was like a day dream, since we had talked the previous night, and he never told me about his plans to travel from Kasese.
When I asked him what he was doing there, he said; “I came to see you and I was willing to wait until you finish your work, so we can go and have supper together.”
I got into the car and he drove. We chatted along the way and it was just about home, mom and my little brother and sister. He gave me a piece of gonja, which he had bought from Mega standard supermarket.
We then started talking about how Gonja is now sold in supermarkets. Little did I know that the day would end into a serious talk of sorts?
So when we got to the pork joint in Namugongo, we ordered for our meal and drinks. He took his usual drink, Tusker malt and I took Stoney.
He sipped on his drink as he told me about his journey, and then he paused and said… “Clare I want you to first finish your Degree and then the rest can follow.”
“You see the other day I attended a workshop and I shared a hotel room with a colleague who told me of how he had been having an affair with a campus girl.” My dad narrated.
“The man is married and he told me about how this young girl actually believes that the two will get married. I could not believe what I was hearing from this man, I actually called a friend,” he added as a tear rolled down his cheek.
He was disheartened by his friend’s behavior and all he thought about was his little princess Clare.
“Our workshop ended yesterday, and I thought I should come and pay you a visit because my heart could not settle until I saw you,” he said.
I could not believe I was having this kind of conversation with my dad, since we never talk about such issues. But I realized that while we out there in the world, our parents are having sleepless nights thinking about us.
He could not hold back his tears, and I could see it in his eyes that he was concerned and worried about me.
“When my friend me about their affair, I could not help but cry. I thought about you the whole night and I could not sleep at all. And I said, is this what you people do when we let you live as individuals?” he recalled.
But I told him to keep calm, because I love him to the moon and back.
One think I learn't for sure that is that while am at school playing games, my parents are not sleeping but thinking about how am surviving in in the big world.
How I wish and pray that my fellow girls and the boys out there should appreciate their parents, because those people sacrifice a fortune to keep you placed somewhere in the world.




No comments:

Post a Comment